Wednesday, April 9, 2008

5/5/06 the journey continues

EDIT as I compile these for the new blog: A Live Journal post where I'm discovering the first clues that this isn't just a thyroid issue, but rather an immune issue, a whole body issue.

May 5, 2006 the journey continues...

Well, I found a great endo in the area, but she is uber popular, so my appt. isn't until July 14th. Arrgghhh. I hope she is worth the wait.

In the meantime I've been doing a lot of reading on this whole autoimmune crap. What a ball of whacky shit it is. Basically treatment for the thyroid issues may or may not help in the long run and I'm at risk for developing all sorts of other autoimmune symptoms and/or diseases. So basically my stupid immune system is hosed and there's a great likelihood that it will wreak havoc on my health and wellness for the rest of my life in varied forms, manifestations, flare-ups, regressions, etc. Fun stuff.

I look down the road and all I can see is my grandmother standing at the end, a wasted shell of a life, my mother is not far behind her, and am I doomed to walk this path as well? My sister as well? What about my children? Have I doomed them too?

This is much more than simply a thyroid problem, this is whole body out of whack. No one knows exactly what triggers it and all anyone can do is attempt to treat the symptoms when the immune system decides to attack something. There is no treatment or cure for autoimmunity itself.

No comments: